Wednesday, March 26, 2008

HP dv9653cl video card failure

The video card, an 8600m GS, in my HP dv9500 failed on Easter Sunday while I was starting Quake Wars. I called Costco concierge services and they put me in touch with an HP support person, who spoke english(Thank God!). They agreed that the video card had burned out and the support rep is sending me a box to ship my baby back to HP in. I bought a SATA hard drive enclosure to use to transfer, erase and archive my data with. The Rolling River has Very Generously loaned me his little Acer laptop, which is more than adequate for my needs and I am loading it up with my tools tonight. (THANKS Bro!) I am not happy about this. I am worried that it will just happen again when I load up a directx game in the future. I Searched the net for 'dv9653cl video card' and got 80 results; none of which related to a failure, so I am cautiously optimistic. More later

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok,
So search the net for information on my HP9500 video card going out. I found your blog. My card went out while loading World of Warcraft. I actually had to go through a non-english speaking tech person before I got a tech rep that was a bit easier to communicate with. Anyway, they got my laptop thispast friday. HP Repair tracking service says it will be back to my early next week. Hopefully all goes well.

Techwiz said...

I hope your experience is/was as smooth as mine.

Where did you get your HP?

I wonder if we will be seeing a pattern with these failures.

Rick said...

I might as well leave my comment.

A few months ago I left my DV9500 on overnight to complete a download. When I woke up in the morning my screen was horridly corrupted. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but my Nvidia 8600m GS card had a tendency to run quite hot. I assume that the card suffered heat damage. Anyway, I rebooted my laptop and everything appeared fine for about five minutes. The screen eventually suffered corruption again. I got in contact with HP and they had me send it to them for repairs. To their credit, they processed my laptop quickly and rectified the problem by installing new fans and a brand new motherboard. My laptop now runs cooler than it did when I first received it.


That was the good part. The bad part was that I had wiped the hard drive and installed Windows XP Professional in lieu of Vista. They refused to support me until I installed Vista on the machine.

My experience in a nutshell: it was a pain to get them to service me but once I succeeded they serviced me well.

-Rick

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your blog, it did help me to figure out this problem that HP and NVIDIA has.

I put a lot of info I found, including yours, on my blog to help others out.

Thanks again!
Paul
http://www.paulrepair.blogspot.com

Barb said...

I have a laptop (less than 3 yrs old) and have been told that the video card failed and burned out the motherboard which would cost $300. A recall notice (which I never received) was apparently sent out but after a call to the 'service center' was told that it expired last March! How can a recall expire? And do I have any recourse? Thanks for your guidance.